Monday, May 4, 2009

The Gimlet

Thought it was about time that I wrote about one of the other titles of this blog, the mighty Gimlet!

The Gimlet is one of my favourite cocktails of all time and has very much fueled my love affair with gin.

I was first introduced to this wonderful zesty fresh cocktail but Alex Kammerling, who created a modern version for Martin Miller's Gin. It was the first 'grown up' cocktail that I liked, by 'grown up' I mean martini style drink. 

Martin Miller's Gimlet

50ml Martin Miller's
2 bar spoons of Rose's lime marmalade
15ml freshly squeezed lime juice
10ml simple syrup

Method - shake hard and strain into a cocktail glass, garnish with a lime twist

The Gimlet has a great history although it slightly varies depending on who you read. According to The Joy of Mixology it was originally named the Gimlette after the naval surgeon who created it to administer lime juice to the naval officers to stop the spread of scurvy. 

Dr Rose is also involved in the history of the gimlet, he invented Dr Rose's lime cordial in 1867, he found a way to preserve citrus without using alcohol, personally I prefer my gimlet with fresh lime juice but there are many recipes on the net to make your own lime cordial.

The nick name 'limeys' used to describe Englishmen was also coined from the Gimlet.

Like many other classic cocktails, in the last 20 years vodka has taken over the Gimlet but with the much talked about gin renaissance in full swing many gin brands are reclaiming this great drink. This is also an easy drink for the home mixologist to make as the base ingredients are easily found.

So I will be blogging again later on this week as am having my first day of bartender training at IPB, will let you know how it goes!




No comments: